Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Essay First Draft
The Greenpeace operative stood outside the lone door at the end of the hall. The intimidating hallway and the hostile staff had had their effect on him. His hand quivered slightly as it reached toward the solid gold doorknob. After years of lawsuits and politics, the law had finally broken through the loopholes exploited by Megacorp and sent an operative to have a "discussion" with its chief executive officer. Megacorp was one of the last great Multinational corporations on the planet. it had absorbed every company in its bloody path, and now contributed to over forty percent of the world's pollution. The operative was hailed as a saviour, a messiah, and now, he was at his goal. How could he be afraid? Shrugging off his creeping apprehension, he turned the knob and entered the room.The room beyond the door was stark white. There was little to suggest any personality whatsoever in the "person" that sat before him. He was immaculately tidy, dressed in a sleek, jet black tuxedo and matching tie. Perhaps it was his shaved head. Perhaps it was the colour of his skin, a sheen that somehow alternated between the palest of white and green. A trick of the light, perhaps? The operative could feel an unholy aura radiating from the man that was not entirely.....human. 'Shaqi', his Chinese parents had called it. Negative energy. The man did not bother to stand. "Good evening, Mr.....Hu. Welcome. Welcome, to Megacorp." The 'shaqi' rolled off him in waves. Mr Hu broke into a cold sweat. "Good evening, Dr Breen. I will get to the point. You have to stop your product dumping. I believe we both know what this is doing to the environment. The sea isn't even blue anymore. Children worldwide are being poisoned by what you dump into their water. Entire species have gone extinct!" Dr. Breen laughed. "I am not breaking the law. This is all perfectly legal," he drawled in his Texan accent. "Not any more. Either you comply with the international standards for pollution, or you will be forced to surrender hold of your company and be shut down by the government." He was uncharacteristically confident, almost amateur.Dr. Breen's eyes gleamed with barely suppressed rage."Fool! Do you honestly believe I will be shut down by that weak excuse for a democratic government? It is I who funds this country. It is I who provides jobs for the unworthy multitudes of swine that crowd the streets. i am the future of this country! Not the "people", not nature, and certainly not you. What would this country do if I were shut down?" Dr. Breen was breathing heavily, his red face marked with sweat. "The people can find a better way to live. Technology is ultimately unnecessary. Humans will always find a way to survive. We are after all, animals. It is in our blood. Please consider the government's proposition." "No, my dear boy, I would prefer to fight it out with the "government". My victory is assured. The truth is, boy, I don't care. Who do you honestly think even cares about the problems of others? would you "care" if I were in your shoes? Do you "care" for the legions of swine that crowd this Earth?" He was suddenly deathly calm again. the contrast was unsettling."I see." The operative prepared to leave. He could not stop the pity flowing from his voice. It was in his nature. "You have destroyed, so much. What is it that you have actually created? Can you name me even one thing?" Silence. "I thought not." "I guess you will be leaving now, Mr. Hu? Goodbye. It has been a real pleasure speaking to you." Was that twinkle in his eye.....cordiality? "I hope we meet again soon." Hu turned toward the door, and died instantly as a marksman's bullet traveled clean through his head and out his left eyelid. "Cast him into the sea." Four burly security guards obeyed instantly. "Kindly clean up this mess too." Hu was just another body to exit the disposal shafts of the factory, which led to the sea. Dr Breen was a highly efficient man. The operative would not be missed. He had been too dangerous. Too.....idealistic. Yet, Dr. Breen felt a pang. Must have been something he ate. The government would make noise, launch an investigation, whatever. Even though the prime suspect was him. Dr. Breen's lips creeped upwards. Then, the fuss would die down, and the cycle would continue. Dr. Breen looked out his designer window, scanning over the blazing crimson sea, once dyed a forgotten blue. "Nice view, pity about the poor." He laughed, a screeching trill that echoed emptily around the room, as yet another species breathed its last.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
er...nice essay, and i can see the link to blue, but ya, perhaps its not mentioned enough. Apart from that, well crafted story. Although it seems a bit weird for your topic of "blue".
Ivan
nice essay but its quite difficult and political to me. its maybeonly me. nice job
I agree with Adrian that this essay held slight personal bias and can be politically sensitive. Do you want to cite some reference source of research for your fictitious write-up? In other word, maybe you can come from this corner of the world - what unfriendly acts disposed by the Asian countries in our money-making cycles. It can be more realistic and help to propagate a healthy theme - be ....??
I like this essay for the fresh perspective on BLUE...and the lack of humanitarian in many commercial pursuits.
Post a Comment